Advance notice of the date and preliminary details (more to follow here).
“Discourse and Persuasion – Ancient and Modern” – 18-20th September, 2014, University of Leeds.
Conference on Ancient Rhetoric and Dialectic in dialogue with issues in Contemporary Leadership Ethics.
- MM McCabe (King’s College London)
- Dominic Scott (University of Virginia / University of Kent)
- Ian McCready-Flora (Columbia University / St Louis University)
- Joanne Ciulla (Jepson School of Leadership, University of Richmond)
- Jackie Ford (Leeds University Business School)
- Raphael Woolf (King’s College London)
The primary aim of the conference is to chart the scope of the Leading Minds research project as a whole, of which it constitutes one of the first events. It will serve this function by means of a series of papers and roundtable discussions exploring possible fruitful avenues for research. The ancient focus (~5 papers) will be on dialectic and rhetoric, and the modern focus (~3 papers) would be on argument-based influence in contemporary leadership.
There is an outline website for the Leading Minds research project in Ancient Rhetoric and Dialectic and Contemporary Leadership Ethics here:
The funding for the conference has not as yet been secured, and much of the above depends on these applications. This is a preliminary announcement of the date and intended details, as they stand at present.